# UbuntuNet NREN BGP Workshop
* **Date:** October 29 - November 1, 2017
* **Location:** Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
* **Host:** [UbuntuNet Alliance](https://ubuntunet.net/)
* **Venue:** [Addis Ababa Institute of Technology](http://www.aait.edu.et)
## Software ##
* [Putty SSH](/references/putty.exe.zip)
## Goals / objectives ##
This is a technical workshop, made up of lecture and hands-on lab work
to teach the IS-IS and BGP skills required for the configuration and
operation of large scale networks that make up the Internet.
Workshop topics include, but are not limited to:
* IS-IS design and best practices for Service Provider networks
* BGP protocol, attributes and policy control
* BGP scalability (including Route Reflectors and Communities)
* BGP Best Practices, including Aggregation
* BGP multihoming techniques (redundancy and load balancing)
* BGP Communities as used by Network Operators
* Peering Best Practices
## Target audience ##
Technical staff who are now building or operating a wide area service
provider network with international and/or multi-provider
connectivity, or considering participation at an Internet Exchange
point, or considering deploying IPv6 across their infrastructure and
to their end users.
## Pre-requisites ##
It is assumed that the workshop participants are proficient with a
router command line interface, have a good understanding of OSPF or
IS-IS, as well as experience with using BGP in an operational network.
This workshop is not an introduction. Participants are expected to
have already successfully completed previous Routing Workshops or have
demonstrable equivalent experience.
The lab exercises use Cisco IOS configuration syntax.
Participants are required to bring laptops.
## Workshop ##
* [Detailed Workshop Agenda](agenda.md.html) (includes links to presentations and schedule)
* [Reference Materials](references.html)
* [Books (only available in class)](books.html)
* [NSRC on Facebook](https://www.facebook.com/nsrc.org)
* [NSRC Survey](https://nsrc.org/limesurvey/index.php/452282)