[Main Page](index.html "Main Page") | [Agenda](agenda.html "Agenda")
# Network Monitoring and Management Workshop Overview #
This is a course for those who need to manage diverse Network and NOC operations. It consists of a
combination of theory and lab, with lab work on Linux constituting about 60% of the total course.
## Target Audience ##
Engineers and system staff at ISPs and large networks, including academic networks, who are involved
with system management, network monitoring and management, and problem response. The course is for
those who need to manage diverse Network and NOC operations.
## Workshop Prerequisites ##
Participants are assumed to have good knowledge of the Unix/Linux command line environment, and
understand the general concepts related to networking and IPv4 addressing.
For Remote Workshops:
* Update Zoom client (latest version. Please update to latest client [here](https://zoom.us/download#client_4meeting).
* Functioning web camera
* Ideally access to WhatsApp for Out of Band chat channel during the workshop
## Class Size ##
This class is suitable for class sizes up to 30-35 students.
## Workshop Topics ##
The workshop will be a combination of theory and lab. Ubuntu Linux server version 18.04 LTS will be the workshop platform. The course will cover a number of these topics and all materials will be made available in each area:
* Introduction to Network Monitoring and Management
* Cisco IOS Configuration Basics
* SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol)
* Installation, configuration and understanding of output of some or all of the following network monitoring and management tools:
* LibreNMS - Automated Network Monitoring and discovery
* Smokeping - Latency/Round Trip Time, Jitter and packet loss monitor
* Nagios - Server and Service monitoring and alerting
* Netflow, NfSen - traffic analysis and exploration
* RANCID: network equipment configuration backup, change tracking & automation including the use of WebSVN
* Network Operation Center (NOCs)
* RT (Request Tracker): Ticketing systems for helpdesk /support and integration of RT and Nagios to automatically generate tickets.
* Log management: Collecting logs, monitoring them, using forensic tools and pattern matching utilities to alert when there are problems:
* syslog / rsyslog