# AfNOG / AIS 2022 Network Monitoring Essentials Tutorial #
## Useful Links ##
* [Reference Materials](references.html)
## Diagrams ##
* [Class Topology Overview](diagrams/nmm-topology-overview-high-level.png)
* [Campus 1 Detailed](diagrams/nmm-campus1-detailed.png)
* [Campus 1 Detailed with Addresses](diagrams/nmm-campus1-detailed-with-addresses.png)
## Tutorial ##
## Description ##
This 2-hour tutorial is designed to give a core overview of what network monitoring and management means and some useful approaches to
implementing monitoring and management on a network. In addition, we will provide an overview of a few key concepts via the introduction
of some common tools used to effectively monitor these aspects of a network. These will include:
- [Detailed Agenda](agenda.html)
- Network Operations Center (available during tutorial)
Live demonstrations of these tools will be included and participants will be given access to a training platform to experiment do some some labs to implement and configure the tools we discuss. This is an optional component of this tutorial and access to the platform will be detailed during the tutorial.
- Monitoring the availability of network devices, servers and services using Nagios
- The traditional methodogoly for obtaining detailed information about network devices and servers to monitor their performance using the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) and the LibreNMS monitoring platform that uses SNMP output.
- Monitoring the reliability of network circuits and services using the SmokePIng monitoring platform.