Return to Archived Materials home.
- The InterNIC
- RIPE Network Coordination Centre
- Contact info for TLD administrators in countries under RIPE
- Asia Pacific Network
- Domain name registries around the world
- American Registry for Internet Numbers - ARIN
- Internet Assigned Numbers Authority - IANA
- Country Code Top Level Domains - data maintained by IANA
- The ISO 3166-based Top Level Domain reference page - maintained by the iso.org
- Country-Code Top-Level Domain Best Current Practices
- ISO-3166 Country Codes
Setup and Maintenance
- A Sample Basic DNS Configuration
- DNSSEC HowTo
- Domain Administrators Operations Guide (RFC 1033)
- Domain Names - Concepts and Facilities (RFC 1034)
- Domain Names - Implementation and Specification (RFC 1035)
- Domain Name System Structure and Delegation (RFC 1591)
- Tools for DNS debugging (RFC 1713)
- Clarifications to the DNS Specification (RFC 2181)
- Selection and Operation of Secondary DNS Servers (RFC 2182)
- DNS Resources Directory
- RADB Database Services
- RIPE Network Coordination Centre (Europe)
- WIDE Project (Japan)
- How to Register in the Routing Arbiter Database (RADB)
- Routing, BGP and IXP Resources
- Routing Basics (AfNOG 2001 workshop routing overview)
- Using BGP for Inter-Domain Routing (Cisco)
- A Basic BGP and Multi-homing Manual (by Avi Freedman)
- Inter-Domain Multicast Routing (IDMR) working group of the IETF (documentation and drafts)
- OSPF Design Guide
IP Address Space
- Understanding IP Addressing: Everything You Ever Wanted To Know (PDF) (by Chuck Semeria)
- Classless Inter-Domain Routing is an effective method to stem the tide of IP address allocation as well as routing table overflow. The CIDR FAQ (edited by Hank Nussbacher)
- Links to the relevant RFCs about CIDR implementation - RFC1517/1518/1519/1520.
Internet Request for Comments (RFC)
- The Internet Request for Comments (RFC) documents are the written definitions of the protocols and policies of the Internet. This page provides entry points to get at the RFCs.
General Networking Data
- Historical Connectivity Data - Compiled by ISOC from September 1992 through June 1997.
- Internet Domain Survey - The Domain Survey attempts to discover every host on the Internet by doing a complete search of the Domain Name System.
- IPv4 Address Report - Unallocated IPv4 address pool exhaustion detailed report.
- What's that site running? - From Netcraft. Find out web server, operating system, netblock owner and historical site data (if available) for web sites.
Books, Documents and Reference Materials
- A Brief History of the Internet - by Barry Leiner, Vinton Cerf, David Clark, Robert Kahn, Leonard Kleinrock, Daniel Lynch, Jon Postel, Larry Roberts, and Stephen Wolff.
- "The December List" - a collection of information sources about the Internet and computer-mediated communication.
- Global Engineering Documents - Global Engineering Documents was established in 1968 as a clearinghouse for frequently requested engineering specifications, standards, and other technical publications.
- IPv4 / IPv6 Operational Information Collection.
- The Scout Report - A collection of weekly reports summarizing valuable resources on the Internet.
Dictonaries and Glossaries
- Acronym Finder - Find out what any acronym, abbreviation, or initialism stands for. Contains over 600,000 definitions.
- The Cook Report Glossary - The guide is categorized by the various groups of technology that make up the Internet and all of the terms are arranged both alphabetically and in a narrative form.
- Glosario básico inglés-español para usuarios de Internet - Cuarta edición / Fourth edition (2001).
- Glosario de Internet - Un glosario de terminos de Internet en Español.
- The Internet Acroynm Server.
- Internetworking Terms and Acronyms - Cisco's glossary of internetworking terminology.
- RFC 1983: Internet Users Glossary - This document is the work of the User Glossary Working Group of the User Services Area of the Internet Engineering Task Force (1996).
Networking Tips and FAQs
- nsrc.org: Network Management - A short document about network management/monitoring systems.
- nsrc.org: International E-mail accessibility FAQ Archive
- Five Cisco IOS Tips to make you more efficient - A short article from TechRepublic describing practices that make configuring IOS devices more efficient.
- Communications Technologies Tips and Tricks - A wiki with detailed explanations of various networking related issues.
- IP Routing Frequently Asked Questions - A collection of frequently asked questions published by Cisco relating to IP routing.
- BGP: Frequently Asked Questions - A collection of frequently asked questions published by Cisco relating to BGP and Cisco routers
- OSPF: Frequently Asked Questions - A collection of frequently asked questions published by Cisco relation to OSPF and Cisco routers
- Frequently Asked Questions on Multi-homing and BGP - A collection of frequently asked questions about multi-homing and BGP
- Which Routing Protocol? - An excerpt from the book "Optimal Routing Design" by Russ White. This document describes the strengths and weaknesses of the various routing protocols.
- Campus Networking Best Practices: SANOG 12 - A collection of documents from the NSRC's presentation at SANOG 12.
- Cisco Security Response: Rootkits on Cisco IOS Devices - A best practices guide for securing Cisco IOS devices.
- APNIC - FAQs - A collection of frequently asked networking questions published by the Asia Pacific Network Information Centre
- ARIN.net - Reference Documents - A collection of document regarding ARIN's operations, resources, and information about RFCs pertaining to Internet Number Resources
- IPv4 / IPv6 Operational Information Collection - A collection of information about implementing IPv6.
- LACNIC FAQ - A collection of frequently asked questions from the Latin American and Caribbean Internet Address Registry
- LACNIC IPv6 Information Center
Free Networking Tools
- Dinamips Cisco 7200 Simulator - A Windows/Linux Cisco IOS simulator.
- 7200emu Forum - A forum for issues relating to the Dynamips Emulator Software.
- Dynagen - A Windows/Linux/Mac OS front-end for Dynamips emulator.
- DyanGUI Another front-end for Dynamips.
- Wireshark - An open source packet sniffer.
- OpenNMS - An open source network monitoring system.
- ntop - An open source tool used to display network traffic statistics.
- Snort - An open source intrusion detection system.