NSRC and Internet2 Announce 2 Global Fellowship Recipients for the 2023 Technology Exchange
- Sept 2023: Network Startup Resource Center (NSRC) and Internet2 sponsored two fellowships for Ravneel Sharma and Niumaia P. Tabunakawai from the University of the South Pacific to attend the Internet2 Technology Exchange, offering opportunities to exchange knowledge and expand their professional networks.
RouteViews on Pacific Wave Improves Network Operations for International Research and Education
- July 2023: RouteViews collector deployed in Los Angeles at CENIC to resolve routing-related issues in international research and education networks.
NANOG 88 Presentations
- June 2023: Greg Shepherd presented Route Views and BGP Data Updates at NANOG 88 in Seattle, Washington. Philip Smith presented BGP Techniques for Network Operators.
Internet2 TechEx Fellowships
- December 2022: TechEx NSRC Fellows, Khoudia Gueye from Senegal and Max Larson Henry from Haiti, spoke briefly about their goals in attending the 2022 Internet2 Technology Exchange in Atlanta, Georgia.
- August 2022:Dr. Philip Smith discussed his involvement with the Mongolian Network Operators Group known as mnNOG.(external link to Facebook video)
Oregon Tribal Broadband Bootcamp
- August 2022: The University of Oregon, Eugene campus, hosted the third Tribal Broadband Bootcamp for engineers and technicians representing native tribes in the Pacific Northwest. Hosts included Chief Jason Younker, NSRC, Link Oregon and the Internet Society. News coverage included KVAL, KGW, OPB and the University's own Around the O.
The Equalizing Force of Connectivity: A Conversation with Steve Huter, Director of the Network Startup Resource Center
- January 2021: NSRC Director Steven Huter talks with the Marconi Society about the impact of connectivity on workforce development around the globe.
Spotlight on NSRC-Mozilla Fellow Md. Abdul Awal
- October 2019: Long-time NSRC colleague and now Mozilla 2019-2020 Mozilla Fellowship recipientMd. Abdul Awal is Building a Community of Network Engineers (And Also, a More Secure Internet).
Hervey Allen impressions of mnNOG 1
- September 2019: NSRC taught workshops on Network Monitoring and Management and Routing Infrastructure and Security Operations as well as presenting at the First Mongolian Network Operators group meeting, mnNOG 1, held in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia from September 16-21, 2019. Impressions of the event from Hervey Allen, NSRC Assistant Director.
NSRC co-sponsors Internet2 Fellowship recipients at the 2019 Internet2 Global Summit
- March 2019: NSRC co-sponsors Internet2 Fellowship recipients to attend the 2019 Internet2 Global Summit held in Washington, D.C. from March 5-8, 2019.
Framing a Case for NRENs in the Longest Last Mile
- February 2019: Michael Foley, World Bank (retired), made mention of the NSRC in his keynote speech for the South African Centre for High Performance Computing National Conference. HPC Wire posted a related article "Framing a Case for NRENs in the Longest Last Mile" by Elizabeth Leake.
Tribal Digital Village Network (TDVNet)
- January 2019: Matt Rantanen spoke with the NSRC of the partnership between the Tribal Digital Village Network (TDVNet) and the Corporation for Education Network Initiatives in California (CENIC).
First Internet Exchange Point in Thimphu, Bhutan
- January 2019: The Kuensel Online newspaper of Bhutan spoke with NSRC International Networking Coordinator Dale Smith about the First Internet Exchange Point in Thimphu, Bhutan
Interview with NSRC Director Steven G. Huter
- October 2018: GÉANT has published their Connect 30 magazine that includes an Interview with NSRC Director Steven G. Huter
Keynote talk in Spanish on Experiences and Strategies Working in the Less Connected World [PDF | Video]
- October 2018: NSRC Assistant Director Hervey Allen gave a keynote talk in Spanish on Experiences and Strategies Working in the Less Connected World [PDF | Video] as part of the LACNIC30-LACNOG2018 meeting held in Rosario, Argentina.
NSRC Director awarded the 2018 Jonathan B. Postel Service Award
- July 2018: NSRC Director Steven G. Huter was awarded the 2018 Jonathan B. Postel Service Award
NSRC - Internet2 Fellow Magreth Mushi's experiences at the 2018 Internet2 Global Summit
- May 2018: A follow-up story on NSRC-Internet2 Fellow Magreth Mushi and her experiences at the 2018 Internet2 Global Summit in San Diego, California.
NSRC - Internet2 Fellows Announced for 2018 Internet Global Summit
- May 2018: NSRC - Internet2 Fellows Announced for 2018 Internet Global Summit in San Diego, California.
NSRC Releases poster on Global Internet Development Activities
- May 2018: NSRC presented a poster during the Internet2 Global Summit held in San Diego, California includes a case study of working with the Bhutanese Research and Education Network (DrukREN) in 2015 as well as training statistics since 2010. The poster covers NSRC activities from 1992 through 2017.
CENIC article highlighting The Power of Human Networks to Fuel Global Research and Education
- May 2018: A nice article on NSRC partners working together to leverage the human networks to build Research and Education (R&E) networks.
The power of empowering: building network expertise in Asia-Pacific
- March 2018: The In The Field blog has published a feature on, "The power of empowering: building network expertise in Asia-Pacific."
NSRC featured on People Centered Internet blog
- January 2018: In a message to the People Centered Internet coalition, Chairman Vint Cerf called NSRC "the gold standard when it comes to preparing groups to build and operate networks that are part of the Internet." Read the article here.
The University of Guam has unveiled their new GOREX Internet Exchange Point
- November 2017: The NSRC, University of Hawaii and many other partners assisted the University of Guam as they launched their new Ultra-High-Speed GOREX Network to promote increased growth and effectiveness of data-intensive and highly collaborative research and education activities engaging the Asia-Pacific region with the global R&E community.
Network Startup Resource Center lends helping hand to strengthen I.T infrastructure at Ashesi
- November 2017: An article published by the University of Ashesi in Ghana that covers an NSRC direct engineering assistance engagement from this past June. NSRC contractors Brian Candler, Patrick Okui and Sebastian Buettrich as well as NSRC volunteer Bob Rotsted joined the effort in conjunction with University of Ashesi network staff from June 12-16 in Berekuso, Ghana.
NSRC collaborator Dr. Philip Smith talks about the beginnings of the London Internet Exchange (LINX)
- October 2017: The London Internet Exchange (LINX) has published an interview (online | pdf) with NSRC collaborator Dr. Philip Smith discussing the formative years of LINX (1994-1997) and his participation as well as links to several talks that he gave while participating in the LINX98 meetings and workshops.
Senegal gains digital sovereignty with the inauguration of its Internet Exchange Point
- August 2017: Tic & Telecom posted an article on the launch of Senegal's Internet Exchange Point (IXP) on Tuesday the 29th of August 2017 in Dakar. This launch will improve the internet traffic quality in Senegal as well as and promote the development of the digital economy.
The Power of Human Networks to Fuel Global Research and Education
- May 2017: The Corporation for Education Network Initiatives in California (CENIC) posted an article on the Power of Human Networks and Global R&E here. A video recording of NSRC CENIC panelists Kennedy Aseda (National Research and Education Network of Kenya), John Peterson (University of Guam) and Steve Huter (NSRC) is available for viewing.
From Uganda to the Internet2 Global Summit: International Perspective From a First-time Attendee
- May 2017: Internet2 posted a response from NSRC-Internet2 Fellowship Recipient Sarah Kiden on the experience of attending and presenting at the Internet2 Global Summit in Washington, D.C. Read the blog post here.
Network Startup Resource Center Honored for World Outreach
- Apr 2017: The Corporation for Education Network Initiatives in California presented the Network Startup Resource Center with the 2017 Innovations in Networking Award for Broadband Applications. Read the full article here.
INASP partnership with NSRC and UbuntuNet Alliance
- Mar 2017: INASP reveals collaboration with African research and education networks meant to advance Accessing and contributing to global research.
CENIC Awards NSRC and its Director, Steven Huter, CENIC’s 2017 Innovations in Networking Award for Broadband Applications
- Mar 2017: CENIC has announced an award to be presented to NSRC in recognition of work to improve network infrastructure, facilitate collaboration, and build professional capacity in countries around the world.
All you ever wanted to know about Federated Identity Management (FedIdM) but were afraid to ask
- Feb 2017: GÉANT has published an article on their collaboration with the NSRC to build a video training library on identity management, its technologies and benefits.
ESnet and Network Startup Resource Center Combine Expertise to Spread the Word
- Jan2017: ESnet has published an article on their collaboration with the NSRC to create a set of training videos dedicated to educating network engineers around the world on Science DMZ network setup and architecture.
Building the Global Research and Education Network – A Volunteer Opportunity
- Dec 2016: University of California Office of Internet Technology has published an article on the efforts of NSRC to build up the global research and education network.
Empowering network engineers around the world: GÉANT and NSRC renew partnership
- Oct 2016: GÉANT has published an article on the collaboration of NSRC and GÉANT.
New Training Videos Leverage ESnet’s Expertise to Improve Network Performance around the World
- July 2016: ESnet has published an article on the collaboration of NSRC and ESnet on the creation of a series of training videos about perfSONAR network measurement tools.
The Network Startup Resource Center, Botswana and a Better Internet
- June 2016: Joe Abley wrote about the NSRC's involvement with Internet expansion and education in Africa in a recent blog post.
Memory Lane: Revisiting Internet Access for African Higher Education
- Sept 2015: The Carnegie Corporation published an article on the NSRC's involvement with Internet Access for Higher Education in Africa.
The National University of Samoa Expands ICT Network
- July 2015: The National University of Samoa (NUS) published an article on the NSRC's technical assistance with the campus network and the donation of distribution switches by Victoria University of Wellington (VUW).
International Partnerships and Knowledge Sharing Help Bhutan Continue on the Path to Advanced Internet Capabilities
- Apr 2015: Internet2 has published a news article on the efforts of NSRC to bring high-speed network access to the research and education (R&E) community of Bhutan.
the immense potential of Internet of Things for science and development
- Mar 2015: The International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) has published a press release on a new project supported by the NSRC.
NSRC Director Steve Huter inducted into Internet Hall of Fame
- Apr 2014: The Internet Society (ISOC) recognized Steve Huter in an April ceremony. The Oregonian newspaper also covered the award.
DANTE and NSRC team up to narrow the global digital divide
- Jun 2013: An MoU signed between DANTE and NSRC to formalize cooperation in support of connecting the least connected.
- Internet2 awarded Steven Huter and Dale Smith the Internet2 President's Leadership Award
- May 2013: The award was given at the 2013 Internet2 Annual Meeting held in Arlington, Virginia.
Hutt News runs story on NSRC Campus Network Design and Operations Training Workshop
- Apr 2013: Hutt News from Wellington, New Zealand ran a story by Dean Pemberton on the NSRC Campus Network Design and Operations Training Workshop held at the UCSY campus from March 4-8 in Yangon, Myanmar. You can view a copy of the story here (PDF).
- NSRC Routing, Peering and Network Management and Monitoring Workshop
- Apr 2013: The Caribbean Knowledge and Learning Network (CKLN) published a story about a recent workshop on Routing, Peering and Network Management and Monitoring the NSRC ran in February of 2013.
- Global Oregon News highlights the Senegalese National Archives team visit and training at UO
- Sep 2012: The training took place at the Univesity of Oregon with the NSRC and Knight Library Staff. You can read more about it here.
- NSRC Founder, Randy Bush inducted in to the Internet Hall of Fame in Geneva, Switzerland
- Apr 2012: Randy Bush, NSRC Founder, was inducted in to the Internet Hall of Fame in Geneva, Switzerland on April 20, 2012 for his contributions to the global growth and use of the Internet. Press release is here.
- NSRC assists Cambodias scientists major digital step
- Apr 2012: The NSRC helped to assist Cambodias scientists take major digital step; Cambodia links to TEIN3 via Vietnam.
Show More >
Show Less >
Funding and Support
- Improving internet access in emerging markets
- Feb 2013: Google gift helps, Improving internet access in emerging markets
- United States Telecommuncations Training Institute mentions Google gift on Board Member's blog
- May 2013: The United States Telecommuncations Training Institute (USTTI) has an entry on their Board Member's blog written by Aparna Sridhar, Policy Counsel, Google Inc., "Working Together to Improve Internet Access in Emerging Markets."
- Google grant boosts UO-based center's technical training in Africa
- Feb 2013: Google grant boosts UO-based center's technical training in Africa
- NSRC and University of Hawaii awarded NSF EAGER grant
- July 2012: The NSRC and the University of Hawaii have been awarded an NSF EAGER grant, number 1239824 titled, "Research and Education Networking in the Pacific Islands and Beyond: Exploring and Developing Approaches."
- google.org Blog Google's gifted several organizations
- Mar 2011: Google's gifted several organizations: google.org Blog.
- University of Oregon center gets $1.25 million
- Mar 2011: Google this: University of Oregon center gets $1.25 million.
Building a high-performance Nigerian Research and Education Network (REN)
- July 2011: The Google Africa blog with Jens Kuehlers, Technical Program Manager at Google Africa, provide a first-hand report on Building a high-performance Nigerian Research and Education Network (REN).
Google’s Charitable Giving Fund scales up the efforts of the NSRC
- Mar 2011: Communications of the ACM posted an article "With Google's Gift, U. of Oregon Expands International Cyberinfrastructure".
- UO President Richard Lariviere writes about Google's support of the NSRC
- Mar 2011: UO President Richard Lariviere wrote about, Google supports the NSRC.