Wireless Networking Resources
Return to Archived Materials home.
Advocacy Groups and Technical Resources
- High Performance Wireless Research and Education Network (HPWREN): A San Diego area research network funded by the National Science Foundation dedicated to "creating, demonstrating, and evalating a non-commercial, prototype, high-performance, wide-area, wireless network.
- Wireless Networking Unit of the Aeronomy and Radio Propagation Laboratory (ARPL): The host of the "School on Wireless Networking for Scientific Applications in Developing Countries" seminars. Their site archives presentations from past "school" events.
- Wireless Africa: A group in South Africa researching ways to expand the use of wireless networking to developing countries.
- Wireless Networking in the Developing World: An electronic book with information on how to build and maintain a wireless network in the developing world.
- Green WIFI: A volunteer organization dedicated to the spread of solar powered wireless networking equipment.
- WirelessU: A repository of technical documents about wireless networking and a community that promotes the spread of wireless networking.
- MIT roofnet : A wireless mesh network operating in Cambridge, MASS. Contains technical documents on how to setup a wireless mesh network.
- NSRC.org - Wireless Network Security Workshop: A collection of presentations about wireless networking and wireless network security. Topics ranging from an introduction to wireless networking to access point configuration and network traffic analysis.
- SANS.org - A Survey of Wireless Mesh Networking Security Technology and Threats: An introduction to wireless mesh networks and a summary of the security implications that these networks present.
- Open-mesh.org: A collection of information about Wireless mesh networking and the B.A.T.M.A.N. routing protocol.
- IEEE - Wireless: An organization that houses documents about wireless standards such as 802.1.
- Blantyre - Mangochi Wireless Backbone: A description of the project in Spanish (en Español).
- Blantyre - Mangochi Wireless Backbone Diagrams: Are available in PDF format.
- How To Setup A Home Network: Instructions for setting up your home nework with a modem and wireless router.
- Cantenna: Instructions on how to create a WIFI antenna from a tin can.
- Mini-satillite dish antenna: Instructions on how to create a WIFI antenna from a mini-satillite dish.
- OpenWRT: A open source firmware used to add functionality to inexpensive wireless networking equipment.
- USB/Asian Parabolic Cookware Antenna: A website with instructions on how to make a WIFI antenna using a USB wifi device and a Wok.
- Seattle Wireless - Linksys WRT-54g: An in depth technical document about the Linksys WRT-54g.
- Alvarion: A manufacturer of WiMAX wireless products.
- Fleeman Anderson & Bird: A vender of wireless networking equipment including connectors, antennas, access points, enclosures and mounts.
- Inveneo: A company that manufactures low-power, low-cost computer and networking equipment designed for the needs of the developing world.
- Meraki: A vender of wireless networking equipment specializing in wireless mesh networks.
- Open-mesh.com: A vender of low-cost wireless mesh networking devices.
- PCTEL, Inc A company that manufactures WIFI and WiMAX antennas.
- Solectek A manufacturer of long-range broadband wireless products.
- Ubiquiti Networks: A vender of wireless networking equipment that is largely compatible with the OpenWRT framework.